Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Why doesn't anyone care?

I get this all the time:

"So what do you do?"

"I'm a scientist"

"Wooooowwwww"

(Silence)

"So what EXACTLY do you do?"

"Umm.. I work in a lab that is doing research on DNA replication, and we're trying to investigate the molecular mechanisms that are responsible in deciding how.... "

(here's where i start foaming at the mouth, because I just LOVE to talk about this shit).

"...... cells decide where on the chromosomes will they initiate DNA replication. I mean, so there are some people in the lab that use yeast as a model system ....."

(the poor guy is looking for a way out, but I've got him cornered. He ain't going nowhere till he hears exactly what the heck I've been upto for the last five years. HE asked, right?)

"............ but I work with human cells. Now you're going to say, "Yeast? Why yeast?" You'd be surprised at how much we have in common with regular budding yeast..........."

(by now he's signaling wiiiiildly to someone behind me. In the meantime, I pause for breath and grab a paper towel, napkin, whatever writing surface is available. I start doodling.)

".... now imagine this line here is a long piece of DNA. You know every cell in your body has EXACTLY one copy of each chromosome. I mean, if you think of it, it's really an amazing feat. Are you familiar with nucleotides? Do the alphabets A, T, G and C mean anything to you?"

(he shakes his head "no" still looking furtively behind me, I ignore the chuckling I hear at the back. Philistines!)

"..... well it so happens that all the genetic information that adds up to make you, or me or a tree or a cat or a bug, whatever, is all the result of a series of combinations of these four alphabets. Or rather, chemicals that these alphabets represent. Here, wait, no, let me draw it out for you."

I'm momentarily distracted, I draw some stuff. I look up and he's gone. I mean, that is so rude, isn't it? Just when I was about to show him what base pairing is all about.

Sometimes, I wonder if groups of people place bets to see who lasts the longest?


Now my dad claims he has the better approach:

"So what does your son do?"

"He's a scientist"

"Wooooowwwww"

(Silence)

"So what EXACTLY does your son do?"

"You remember that sheep, Dolly?"

"Oh yes! of course!"

"Well, that."

"Really? But he wasn't even mentioned in the newspaper!??"

"Well, you know how it is, they took all the credit."

"Oh that's terrible. But still, you must be so proud of him."

"Yes, yes. That's more or less what he's doing. He's not really allowed to discuss details and all. Its all confidential and all, you know?"

"Wooooowwwww."

Note to dad: For the umpteenth time. I did not clone Dolly.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading this.

November 24, 2006 6:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, it was quite amusing. Great that you take pride in whta you do, though. :D

November 24, 2006 7:22 pm  
Blogger The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Ha HA ha! good for you!!! :-)

November 24, 2006 8:02 pm  
Blogger Sudipta Chatterjee said...

Brilliant, zimplllly brilliant!!

Wait till someone asks me what AI and Natural Language Processing are all about!

November 24, 2006 8:09 pm  
Blogger Reshma Bachwani said...

Your post is simply brilliant!! Though i still dont understand what you do :) but don't get started...i can run away from here fairly quickly

November 24, 2006 8:59 pm  
Blogger khal said...

Heyyy

Thanks for all the comments!

Anirudh, VI and TGFI.. dhanyavaad, shukriya

Sudipta - Errr.. AI and Natural Language Processing!! Yeeeeeeeeaaaa I would (koff koff) looove to hear about that...

Reshma.. believe me, I've learned my lesson! I've lost enough friends to science already. Love my dad though, thats still his standard explanation. I heard him on the phone that morning telling someone and I had to raise my eyebrows! NOT AGAIN!!

November 25, 2006 6:45 am  
Blogger Mosilager said...

ha ha yes that's hilarious. been there, done that, although with viruses.

November 26, 2006 12:59 am  
Blogger Atish said...

hilarious....

November 27, 2006 2:35 pm  
Blogger kate said...

You have no idea how many people have come up to me and asked me "Why are you studying malaria if there's already a cure? "
or
"Any breakthroughs yet ...have you found a cure yet?"
gah!!

Hilarious post...I'm gonna forward the link to my labmates..:)

November 28, 2006 7:56 am  
Blogger khal said...

oh holy jesus! I've come full circle with a post from TIFR... help!!

How're the old fogies in the SS lab? Long time not been there. Give my love to VR and KSK will ya?

November 28, 2006 8:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

too good!! :D

November 30, 2006 3:46 pm  
Blogger kate said...

KSK and VR have shifted base to NCBS, though both still have labs here....
I suppose you spent some time at TIFR...are you a post-doc at CSH? Must be cool working at the place all the manuals come from..:D

November 30, 2006 4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home