Mistaken identity?
(.... or something like that.)
Ok, so I get it, I dress like a slob. This is actually part 2 of mistaken identity/profiling/strange encounters or whatever you want to call it.
The first time was last July, I walked into the local 7-11 late at night, (it was probably past midnight) with Gustavo and Adam, we were doing a beer run and I wanted some chips as well. I grabbed a couple bags of Doritos and walked to the counter, which was manned (obviously) by a fellow brownie. I'm guessing he was from Pakistan. Anyhow. here's a translation of that conversation:
Owner: Here for the job?
Khal: Huh?
O: Are you here for the job?
K: Umm.. no.
O: Well, do you want a job?
K: A job? No, no.
O: Do you have any friends who want a job?
K: No.
O: Do you know anyone at all who wants a job?
K: No.
O: Why don't you want a job?
K: I'm a student.
O: Oh, studying, haan. So you think you're too good for this?
K: No, I'm not allowed to work.
O: Well, if you want a job, you should come here.
K : (thinking) sure, if I don't get a PhD and I'm completely out of options, I'll come back and work for you, you psycho.
The second episode happened several nights back at the local Taco Bell. So I'm usually working late nights and the only thing that's open for a quick snack that late is Taco Bell. (I know, I know, they had some issues etc but whatever). Anyhow, so I'm at the window and this woman starts a conversation with me.
Lady at the window: Hello, how are you?
Khal: Good, good thanks.
LATW: I see you come here late nights
K: Uh-huh.
LATW: You start work at late night.
K: Huh? Sure. (No need to disagree here, I just want my tacos)
LATW: Good. Good. People like us need to do these jobs.
K: Err.. sure, absolutely. (thinks - "people like us"??????? shrugs) Someone's got to do this, right?
LATW: You work very hard, I can tell.
K: (shrugging, wan smile) yeah, not really, I do what I have to do.
LATW: Right, right. Ok, I give you your meal now.
K: That would be great, thanks.
LATW: You have a good day at work. Or night. Take care.
K: Thanks, you have a great night as well.
(I look into the bag, I have extra packets of hot sauce, awwwwww)
I wonder what she thinks I do for a living. She probably assumed I'm some sort of night security guard or a construction worker. I guess it doesn't help that my car is sort of falling apart and hasn't been cleaned in a while, so I probably have "blue collar" stamped all across my face. I didn't have the heart to correct her, so now we're friends and have a little chat every now and then when i drop by. She's sweet.
Ok, so I get it, I dress like a slob. This is actually part 2 of mistaken identity/profiling/strange encounters or whatever you want to call it.
The first time was last July, I walked into the local 7-11 late at night, (it was probably past midnight) with Gustavo and Adam, we were doing a beer run and I wanted some chips as well. I grabbed a couple bags of Doritos and walked to the counter, which was manned (obviously) by a fellow brownie. I'm guessing he was from Pakistan. Anyhow. here's a translation of that conversation:
Owner: Here for the job?
Khal: Huh?
O: Are you here for the job?
K: Umm.. no.
O: Well, do you want a job?
K: A job? No, no.
O: Do you have any friends who want a job?
K: No.
O: Do you know anyone at all who wants a job?
K: No.
O: Why don't you want a job?
K: I'm a student.
O: Oh, studying, haan. So you think you're too good for this?
K: No, I'm not allowed to work.
O: Well, if you want a job, you should come here.
K : (thinking) sure, if I don't get a PhD and I'm completely out of options, I'll come back and work for you, you psycho.
The second episode happened several nights back at the local Taco Bell. So I'm usually working late nights and the only thing that's open for a quick snack that late is Taco Bell. (I know, I know, they had some issues etc but whatever). Anyhow, so I'm at the window and this woman starts a conversation with me.
Lady at the window: Hello, how are you?
Khal: Good, good thanks.
LATW: I see you come here late nights
K: Uh-huh.
LATW: You start work at late night.
K: Huh? Sure. (No need to disagree here, I just want my tacos)
LATW: Good. Good. People like us need to do these jobs.
K: Err.. sure, absolutely. (thinks - "people like us"??????? shrugs) Someone's got to do this, right?
LATW: You work very hard, I can tell.
K: (shrugging, wan smile) yeah, not really, I do what I have to do.
LATW: Right, right. Ok, I give you your meal now.
K: That would be great, thanks.
LATW: You have a good day at work. Or night. Take care.
K: Thanks, you have a great night as well.
(I look into the bag, I have extra packets of hot sauce, awwwwww)
I wonder what she thinks I do for a living. She probably assumed I'm some sort of night security guard or a construction worker. I guess it doesn't help that my car is sort of falling apart and hasn't been cleaned in a while, so I probably have "blue collar" stamped all across my face. I didn't have the heart to correct her, so now we're friends and have a little chat every now and then when i drop by. She's sweet.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home