Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Also, I'm not a very nice person

Conversation between me and my yeast geneticist baymate.

"So when are you leaving?"

"Umm... its not really fixed yet. It's kind of flexible."

"Well, it seems from your presentation that you have a lot of experiments you still want to do."

"Yeah, you know, the data is exciting and it looks very promising."

"Well, I've already told you my opinion about this. I don't think you should stay here for very long. Its not going to help you."

"Yeah, well, we'll see." (Annoyed)

"So what are you going to work on in your new lab?"

"I'm going to make a transgenic mouse"

"Oh mouse stuff? I thought you were interested in working on yeast?"

"Umm, well yeah that was before."

"So what happened? Why have you changed your mind?"

"Well, it seems like people who work on yeast aren't getting jobs these days. I don't really want to be in that position three-four years from now."

(Silence)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

heh! bitchy scientists are my favourite kind of scientists.

also dude transgendered mice? really??

January 30, 2008 4:21 pm  
Blogger khal said...

I used to be a nice F.O.B.

I hope I leave this behind when I'm gone.

January 30, 2008 5:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Owie! poor girl...

January 31, 2008 11:17 am  
Blogger Daily East Korea said...

Didn't know that there were jobs in the field of transgenics. Good to know.

That said. The local yeast lady just left the building this year to pursue a career in the EU bureacracy.

Leaving her PhD students to rot.

Naturally, the local leadership congratulated her on her appointment, amazingly ignoring the harsh reality of stranded PhD students (not that she was ever there for them before).

Sometimes I wonder if people are just stupid or total assholes.

End of yeast research in this part of the world.

January 31, 2008 12:07 pm  
Blogger khal said...

@maarten: she asked for it, seriously she's been pissing me off for the longest time. ("are you working with radioactivity again" "when are you leaving?" "when are you leaving?" "when are you leaving?" "when is your start date?" "when are you leaving?")

@spurious: hey, if youre a mouse person you can always get a good job curing cancer somewhere. I don't know any happy yeast veterinarians. Except for ones who already have labs. Or are studying RNA interference. In pombe only.

January 31, 2008 3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home