WTF?
Saw this next to the pH meter today.



In case you don't get it, that is a bottle of concentrated, CONCENTRATED hydrochloric acid (or as us folks abbreviate it, HCl). It has a note on it that says "Do not put concentrated HCl into plastic!"
I was (of course) like, D-uh isn't that common sense? First of all, why would anyone pour acid into plastic when there are countless horror / thriller movies that show you how acid just eats through shit. (With the singular exception of Alien where the alien blood is acid, but we'll ignore that one.)
I was about to walk away when I saw this:
I was about to walk away when I saw this:
OK, now I get it. I can just imagine what happened here. Someone wanted to prepare dilute acid and poured it into a plastic tube like this one, and learned that, strong as they may be, Falcon polypropylene tubes are not made to withstand conc. HCl.
Also, its basic chemistry (I thought) as well as common sense. You NEVER ever pour water into acid. Hell, I'll even quote you a reliable source. There's a full MSDS on HCl over here
For the important detail, read the bold print
Thank God I'm leaving soon!
Also, its basic chemistry (I thought) as well as common sense. You NEVER ever pour water into acid. Hell, I'll even quote you a reliable source. There's a full MSDS on HCl over here
For the important detail, read the bold print
Store in a cool, dry, ventilated storage area with acid resistant floors and good drainage. Protect from physical damage. Keep out of direct sunlight and away from heat, water, and incompatible materials. Do not wash out container and use it for other purposes. When diluting, the acid should always be added slowly to water and in small amounts. Never use hot water and never add water to the acid. Water added to acid can cause uncontrolled boiling and splashing. When opening metal containers, use non-sparking tools because of the possibility of hydrogen gas being present. Containers of this material may be hazardous when empty since they retain product residues (vapors, liquid); observe all warnings and precautions listed for the product.
Thank God I'm leaving soon!

3 Comments:
Try sprinkling your chloroform on styrofoam. it's great for re-enacting the scene in Alien where its blood eats through the deck. In fact, they might have done it like that.
I had once a case of melting falcon tubes, but I can't remember what I filled them with.
da spuriousmonkey
ooooh I am so glad I'm not there. I don't think I could resist finding out who wrote that (I think I know already) and 'educating' them. Bad things would happen afterwards...
ha ha... i don't want to name names here, let's just say the number 7 can be misleading at times.
(K raises right eyebrow, nods head knowingly.)
Post a Comment
<< Home