Rejuvenation
Spent yesterday with the very talented, soon to be Dr. M. We wanted to go check out the old alma mater and haunt the LSD (Life sciences Dept as it is fondly called), catch up with the old fogies and what not.
In spite of our best efforts ("We should probably leave sooner than we did the last time"), we were both late. Although trains in Bombay are still as fast as ever, the roads are super crowded and I severely underestimated how long it takes to travel from point A to point B these days .
When we did reach, the profs were scurrying to the hall. Apparently, there was some carol singing thing going on in and Christmas celebrations and so on (it is a Jesuit instituition, you know), so they were mostly busy with that, but it was fun to catch them for the 30 mins or so where I updated them on my moving plans and we briefly (ahem) asked Nats what she was doing next ("Give it some time, will you?")
We (N and I) hung out in the woods, which looks nothing like what it used to be, and checked out the hotties (??) in the foyer. It seems that the faces may be different but it could very well be our crowd eight years ago. N thinks the guys are more groomed now, but that's about it. I learned that there are laws against statutory rape in India (who wouldv'e thunk?) and N still turns heads. I also learned that there are no dress codes now (yay!) so a lot of butt crack is doing the rounds. I learned the Marathi version of ABCD ("aga bai, chaddi disli" ... meaning "Oops! I just saw your underwear") which you can say a lot post-the-dress-ban-lifting. Let's see how quickly the Jesuits find a loophole around that. In the old days, we'd have Father Joe standing outside with a measuring scale making sure the skirts were long enough (distance from the knees I think). Well he's gone now, and we have Father Fraser, who seems more interested in the economic reforms (thank God).
Ran into A. Lokur, who I haven't seen for over a decade, and she's back teaching French at the department. She barely remembers me but when I told her what I do, she related how her husband passed away from Leukemia very suddenly and I felt awful for having reminded her of that. I think I may have ruined her day, although I didn't mean to. But she was a great prof, so I'm glad the college has her back. Briefly reminisced about my days at "L'alliance francaise de Bombay" and realized I did a lot more other stuff back then, than I have recently.
Now I've got a new question in my mind. How on earth does one go about applying for corporate funding for undergraduate research?
In spite of our best efforts ("We should probably leave sooner than we did the last time"), we were both late. Although trains in Bombay are still as fast as ever, the roads are super crowded and I severely underestimated how long it takes to travel from point A to point B these days .
When we did reach, the profs were scurrying to the hall. Apparently, there was some carol singing thing going on in and Christmas celebrations and so on (it is a Jesuit instituition, you know), so they were mostly busy with that, but it was fun to catch them for the 30 mins or so where I updated them on my moving plans and we briefly (ahem) asked Nats what she was doing next ("Give it some time, will you?")
We (N and I) hung out in the woods, which looks nothing like what it used to be, and checked out the hotties (??) in the foyer. It seems that the faces may be different but it could very well be our crowd eight years ago. N thinks the guys are more groomed now, but that's about it. I learned that there are laws against statutory rape in India (who wouldv'e thunk?) and N still turns heads. I also learned that there are no dress codes now (yay!) so a lot of butt crack is doing the rounds. I learned the Marathi version of ABCD ("aga bai, chaddi disli" ... meaning "Oops! I just saw your underwear") which you can say a lot post-the-dress-ban-lifting. Let's see how quickly the Jesuits find a loophole around that. In the old days, we'd have Father Joe standing outside with a measuring scale making sure the skirts were long enough (distance from the knees I think). Well he's gone now, and we have Father Fraser, who seems more interested in the economic reforms (thank God).
Ran into A. Lokur, who I haven't seen for over a decade, and she's back teaching French at the department. She barely remembers me but when I told her what I do, she related how her husband passed away from Leukemia very suddenly and I felt awful for having reminded her of that. I think I may have ruined her day, although I didn't mean to. But she was a great prof, so I'm glad the college has her back. Briefly reminisced about my days at "L'alliance francaise de Bombay" and realized I did a lot more other stuff back then, than I have recently.
Now I've got a new question in my mind. How on earth does one go about applying for corporate funding for undergraduate research?

3 Comments:
"aga bai, chaddi disli"
had me in splits !!! Love it.
aga bai chaddi disli needs to be on urban dictionary. add it already!
tell us your alliance gonecase [i used to think that was hilarious] story. doesn't everyone have one? i might do mine sometime. sigh. alliance was fun! i didnt learn any french though. except that gateau means cake which i already knew from random dessert menus.
ha ha... i never called it Alliance Gonecase, but that's pretty appropriate. Let's see, what's a good story from those days? I need to set this up, considering there are two and a half course worthy stories to recall.
Eerily enough, I was out walking in Bandra today and I ran into an old gonecase colleague, which was totally random.
Post a Comment
<< Home