Thursday, February 07, 2008

I throw some more poop

(as spurious would say).

More conversations with the labmate. I'm not sure why she bothers. I guess because I'm a softie at times and randomly offer sympathy.

She: "You know I really need to get out of here"

Me: "Well, then .... you should."

"My situation is not the same as yours."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You know. You've got a job already. You have somewhere to go to."

"And so could you. If you looked."

"I can't just go anywhere."

"What's keeping you here? You can go whenever you want to."

"I need to stay here for the health insurance."

(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Me: "Umm, okay. But isn't that kind of a lame excuse? You can get health insurance in any job."

"Well, not like this."

"Its ironic, kind of, isn't it?"

"What is?"

"The longer you stay, the more you're going to need that health insurance. I hope it covers anti-depressants."

(Ta-dah.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Daily East Korea said...

I hate people like that. Why doesn't she go for a job in Europe. They are just dying for good postdocs. All groupleaders (except the exceptional ones) are always moaning and bitching that they can't get any postdocs.

And if you go to social welfare states such as Denmark, Finland and Sweden you get

... insert drumroll...

FREE health care! Even if you don't work.

Avoid the Netherlands. It's healthcare isn't free. Good science though.

February 07, 2008 7:49 am  
Blogger May said...

Is this the girl I know who is unbelievably accident-prone?

If so, she really needs that health insurance...

February 07, 2008 7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree - if it's that girl she shouldn't move. She really shouldn't even be working in the lab!

February 08, 2008 1:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home