Today - Part 3: The event
Ok, so there was quite a turnout. I'll admit even I was a bit surprised. Lots of people carrying $28 worth of reading, waiting their turn in line for a signature.
That's my friend MJL, who reminds me a lot, of Elliot Reid. My partner in crime and misery in the tissue culture room these days.
So, I had this discussion earlier, whether I would go there in support or in protest, and I'd like to think I did both (in a way). I supported by showing up and I protested by not buying a book, not waiting in line, and picking on some folks who did.
There's the man himself, reading little sheets of paper with names written on it, signing in his characteristic scrawl.
Some lady who is just passing through the lab allowed me to photograph her book. God bless the desis.
O-san shows support that is tinged with shame and remorse. He tries to hide from the paparazzi... (i.e. yours truly)
But it is futile. I eventually capture a picture of him purchasing the book.
The name of the book is "Avoid Boring People", but if you look at it closely (I can't tell if its obvious from the picture) there's the word "Other" in light print between "Avoid Boring" and "People", so an alternate title for this book could be "Avoid Boring Other People". A clever gimmick. Still not buying the book.
Some folks couldn't care less about what the eff is going on around them. Like this guy who was in the middle of it all playing solitaire. Technically he's here for a meeting, shouldn't he be attending talks?
But there are others, like my friend Lisa here who is clearly very excited to be here.
I guess there is no more controversy, eh? Obviously, he's out on the loose and people are queuing up to hear him, see him, bask in the company of his brilliance.
Oh well. So much for divine retribution.

9 Comments:
I think Dr Watson has always been an *ssh*ole (pardon my french).
It already started when he and Crick stole the work of Rosalind Franklin.
Don't think he ever became a moral human being after that, or was before it.
but then again, I am still suffering from the flu so I am a bit negative.
I like the way you write *ssh*ole (I'm trying to imagine what the * would sound like.)
Well, I don't want to piss you off now, spurious, but do you think its time we ignored/let slide the fact that the discovery of the structure was not entirely his own, based on all the good work he has done in the past?
Divine retribution notwithstanding, how soon is it okay to forgive and forget? (Wow, now I'm doogie howser ..... or carrie bradshaw.)
I need to go throw up.
crap!
with this story I was expecting this "trou du cul" to get so cheap we could easily have him as student's invited speaker for our spring seminars... could have been fun (maybe next time... there's gona be a next time)
OMG, she looks exactly like Dr. Reid!
BTW, I still cannot believe the students and the postdocs did not go egg him at the event. Have you seen spines lying around in CSHL?
Thank you, May.(K throws up hands) Apparently no one watches "Scrubs" around these parts.
I'm really bad in forgiving.
I have a (stunning) theory that I have not inherited a single allele from Gandhi and hence I am saddled with a genetic predisposition that prevents me from forgiving elderly scientists.
Where is the line though? Should we already forgive for his recent statements? Only stuff that is older than 5 years? 10 years?
I'm really bad with historic etiquette.
Oh...I met Eric Wieschaus once at one of those symposiums that are organized to celebrate the arrival of another 'stem cell' institute.
I was stunned (again) to see how everybody was hovering around him trying to see if some of his Nobel'ness would rub off on them. I was standing around him too of course. But for more noble reasons obviously. I was just standing there for his moral support.
This was of course during the reception. Lots of bad wine and such. I was one of three Europeans there and I managed to alienate some Americans by spilling wine on their shoes.
Atfer the spilling I went to the poster session since that's why I was there technically. I was standing by my poster and the place was deserted. Nobody around. They were all outside headhunting famous or well funded scientists.
And to my surprise Nobel prize winner Eric Wieschaus walks through the poster session. He had managed to shake off his parasites. And I am the only one there. So I grab him by the sleeve and escort him to my poster and have a good 15 minutes private time with him explaining to him my modest research. He is a very nice guy and seemed genuinely interested.
Enjoyed the pictures! Good work!
Post a Comment
<< Home