Breaking a resolution now
OK, I had resolved at some point I wasn't going to blog about this, but heck, whatever.
So I'm getting coffee or something and J walks in, he's a funny guy and I've just come out of the lab to escape some ongoing drama.
Me: So, what do you think of someone clipping their toenails in the lab?
J (opens eyes wide): Clipping their toenails?
Me: Yup.
J: Well, I think I would say something.
Me: Yeah, I was thinking about it. I'm not sure it would help if I were the one who said something, though.
J: Oh, wait, YOU shouldn't say anything. You should let it go on. Because then, eventually the person with the body odor who smells bad will notice and say something. Then the one who clips the toenails will tell him that he smells. The you will have taken care of both problems, right? One will stop clipping toenails in the lab. The other will take a shower and clean up.
Me: That's kind of perfect, except for one hitch.
J: Which is.....?
Me: The person who smells is the one who clips his toenails in the lab.
There is a momentary pause.
J: Why am I not surprised?
So I'm getting coffee or something and J walks in, he's a funny guy and I've just come out of the lab to escape some ongoing drama.
Me: So, what do you think of someone clipping their toenails in the lab?
J (opens eyes wide): Clipping their toenails?
Me: Yup.
J: Well, I think I would say something.
Me: Yeah, I was thinking about it. I'm not sure it would help if I were the one who said something, though.
J: Oh, wait, YOU shouldn't say anything. You should let it go on. Because then, eventually the person with the body odor who smells bad will notice and say something. Then the one who clips the toenails will tell him that he smells. The you will have taken care of both problems, right? One will stop clipping toenails in the lab. The other will take a shower and clean up.
Me: That's kind of perfect, except for one hitch.
J: Which is.....?
Me: The person who smells is the one who clips his toenails in the lab.
There is a momentary pause.
J: Why am I not surprised?

6 Comments:
bioethics courses are all about lab animal rights and plagiarism nowadays, but nobody dares to touch the real ethical issues that you come across working in a lab.
My Japanese colleague is always breaking wind in our small office. And then does something between a giggle and the last thing you say before harakiri.
Mind you, he does have some ethical standards though. He never does it when the female feminist colleague is in the office.
sometimes I wonder if science is really worth it.
I'm glad someone dared to touch this sensitive subject.
as the saying goes..you can take a horse to the water but you can't make him bathe in it. You guys are such grannies.
ha ha. Not being a granny. We've all tried to make this horse bathe but to no avail. I just thought it was amusing that now in addition to that, we have to deal with the toenail clipping as well.
Whatever next!?
good to see you MSG, long time no peep from you.
Maybe if you pour p32 on him he'll bathe, and if you pour enough his nails may never grow again.
Such violence! I am descended from Gandhi, and therefore I will ignore this. >:(
(Psst... how many milli-C's?)
usually the dose depends on whether you care he/she survives the treatment and body mass.
BTW, was Ghandi very fertile? How can so many people have his genes?
Post a Comment
<< Home