Why we're lying to random shop women
This happened the first week of December. So I was shopping for Christmas and Hanukkah presents and I walked into the local store. I saw santas, reindeer, christmas trees, stockings and every other X'mas related paraphernalia you could imagine in all sizes and colors.
But no Dreidels. No Menorahs. At least not conspicuously displayed.
So I asked the shopowner and she ignored me. Or didn't care, I don't know, she waved her hands in some random direction. Either she didn't like me or she didn't like Jewish people. And both of these are wrong. I get impatient with fools like that, and I left. (Now that I think of it, I wonder if she actually worked there, it was just someone in a uniform.)
So I went into the next shop (a more respectable chain). Same exercise, couldn't find the damn dreidels in spite of the fact that there were, again, tons of Santas and reindeer and Santas on reindeer.
I asked random shop woman where the Hanukkah decorations/presents were. She says "Over there" and glides away. Still can't find it.
I was getting bored of trolling the aisles now and decided to get assertive. So I walked up to a different random shop woman (Older motherly type), I told her I was looking for Hanukkah stuff, that I'm Jewish but I only see all sorts of Christmassy things, and how I really needed to get some dreidels for my kid brother. (I'm so impatient now that if she asks for proof, I'm going to pull down my pants, if you know what I mean). But that was unnecessary, since I threw in the whole kid brother element, her eyebrows went droopy (think "Lady and the Tramp"), her lips made an "Awwwww" sound and she escorted me right to the aisle. I found all the toys that I need. ("Made in China"..... probably tainted with lead or dipped in a date rape drug). Of course, that still doesn't explain why this section is only like 2 shelves in the store but we can worry about parity some other time.
We're not really lying to random shop women. We're trying to be effective. And succeeding. Or sort of. We think.
But no Dreidels. No Menorahs. At least not conspicuously displayed.
So I asked the shopowner and she ignored me. Or didn't care, I don't know, she waved her hands in some random direction. Either she didn't like me or she didn't like Jewish people. And both of these are wrong. I get impatient with fools like that, and I left. (Now that I think of it, I wonder if she actually worked there, it was just someone in a uniform.)
So I went into the next shop (a more respectable chain). Same exercise, couldn't find the damn dreidels in spite of the fact that there were, again, tons of Santas and reindeer and Santas on reindeer.
I asked random shop woman where the Hanukkah decorations/presents were. She says "Over there" and glides away. Still can't find it.
I was getting bored of trolling the aisles now and decided to get assertive. So I walked up to a different random shop woman (Older motherly type), I told her I was looking for Hanukkah stuff, that I'm Jewish but I only see all sorts of Christmassy things, and how I really needed to get some dreidels for my kid brother. (I'm so impatient now that if she asks for proof, I'm going to pull down my pants, if you know what I mean). But that was unnecessary, since I threw in the whole kid brother element, her eyebrows went droopy (think "Lady and the Tramp"), her lips made an "Awwwww" sound and she escorted me right to the aisle. I found all the toys that I need. ("Made in China"..... probably tainted with lead or dipped in a date rape drug). Of course, that still doesn't explain why this section is only like 2 shelves in the store but we can worry about parity some other time.
We're not really lying to random shop women. We're trying to be effective. And succeeding. Or sort of. We think.

3 Comments:
aaah. varynice. we like laddat stories. when are you back? will you bring me any kaaju barfi?
Hmm.. you really like kaaju barfi no? (Evil plan hatches)
huh?
Post a Comment
<< Home