Monday, February 11, 2008

And I'm back.

Not that anyone noticed that i was gone but I was.

I took the weekend off and ran away to Philadelphia to recharge my batteries. Considering that I am about to quit science, I guess it doesn't matter anymore what I do. Now that I think of it, I should do this more often, I already have a Ph.D., I can just write a book and become rich and famous telling everyone what to do. Or not to do.

But I digress. After the disturbing episodes in the lab last week, I took the LIRR - NJ Transit - SEPTA 4 hour ride to see CC, who is one of the happier creatures that I know and who is constantly amused and horrified by my rather dramatic Cold Spring Harbor existence. People in her place of work are more normal (and they truly are, I've met them!).

So she's a crafty one, she is. One fine day last week, we're on the phone and somewhere in between I'm asked, "What kind of cake do you like? Do you like cheesecake?" (Which I do, but it usually makes me sick, since I'll end up eating a lot.) And since I was in a reminisc-ey mood, I told her, I like Blackforest Cake. Which I haven't really eaten (or seen) since I've been here.

So imagine my surprise when I was raiding the fridge and found this:


And it was made from scratch. Whipped cream and all. And it was really yummy, real cherries (not the horrible canned ones that I hate) and rum. Yum. Already the weekend had gotten off to a great start.

We chilled out, watched a really really bad movie ("Good Luck Chuck" Please, nobody watch this movie. Its really terrible, even by my standards. Sure, there's a lot of gratuitous boobage, but really if you want to see tits, get some porn. Even Jessica Alba cannot save this movie.)

After dinner we headed out to meet the rest of her gang and get some drinks. This is CC getting annoyed at me taking pictures of her while we wait.


We spend the rest of the night at the Tavern with AM (and his very tall boyfriend), and with WM (with his very short one) and the others. AM's sister sang a couple of songs at the bar (lounge?) and she was really really good. She reminds me so much of Selma Blair that I like her instantly.

(This is Selma Blair, not AM's sister). I forgot to take pictures of her, but I did get Jessica belting out "Wouldn't it be loverly". (I think).


Its a bit dark, I know but its on the camera phone, so there's no flash. Tant pis. There were several American Idol hopeful-types in the crowd, so we had a lot of fun. AM discovered that brownies are taught John Denver songs in some schools (and know the lyrics to "Take me home, country road"). I discovered that Amaretto sour can taste like cough syrup to some but wonderful to others. After a late night of drinking, dancing, drinking and exchanging many secrets, we head home.


Day 2:
started off pretty late, since we're old and cannot have late nights followed by early mornings. But it seemed like a nice day outside, so we proceeded to explore the city. Which was probably a bad idea, because it got really cold really quick.

Regardless, I like Philadelphia a lot. It reminds me of parts of my hometown (Bombay) with its beautiful buildings, and the University has some really amazing architecture. It also reminds me of my trip to Cambridge which is probably the only other place I've seen that has beautiful old buildings filled with preppie kids. (he he, sorry Shrek).

I think this is the entrance to the museum or something.


And this is the Logan Hall (?)


And this is outside the Wistar Institute.


This is me pretending to read a map. I'm not fat, it just looks like that cause i've got stuff inside my jacket. I think.


This is me surrounded by LOVE


The wind does crazy things to my hair.


Which makes CC laugh.


And then its the end of the day and the weekend. And I take the 4 hour SEPTA - NJ Transit - LIRR back home. Back to the old grind. Oh well.

Fortunately, I've got the rest of my cake to enjoy through the week. As I do so while I write this post.


9 Comments:

Blogger Daily East Korea said...

"Not that anyone noticed that i was gone but I was."

Dude, i am not going to read your blog in my free time!!!

February 11, 2008 8:41 am  
Blogger khal said...

Wait? What? Your world does not revolve around me? (K looks surprised).

February 11, 2008 1:39 pm  
Blogger Daily East Korea said...

My world revolves around the sun.

February 11, 2008 2:12 pm  
Blogger May said...

You didn't see Panicky SJ?

February 11, 2008 3:14 pm  
Blogger khal said...

Nope. Different crowd. Will have to go specially to see her.

February 11, 2008 3:15 pm  
Blogger May said...

I miss Panicky. My life is too relaxed without her. :P

February 11, 2008 9:34 pm  
Blogger ccinindia said...

i look blurry

February 11, 2008 11:50 pm  
Blogger khal said...

@ May: I rest my case. Like I said before, I needed a nice restful weekend.

@ cc : You are a blurry little thing. Its because you're so hyperactive.

February 12, 2008 6:09 am  
Blogger Pri said...

that picture of you surrounded by love needs to be made into a postcard which you can then mass mail to every girl you've ever known. your tribute to valentines day or something.

February 12, 2008 7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home