Of literary scandals
Apparently. another writer has been exposed as a fraud.
I was reading that piece and I recalled that Asra had read "Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and liked it. This was before she knew he made up parts of it. I don't know if her opinion has changed drastically after that.
And I remember discussing it with her then and wondering, if all these works of fiction fool us into believing something good is possible, is that really so terrible? I mean, they're all about survival and hope and inspiration, aren't they?
And don't people scan all these so called non-fiction "here's how terrible my life was and look how wonderful it is today" books for examples of how our own miserable (?) lives can be possibly improved. Right? I mean why are other people's lives so interesting otherwise?
Doesn't this curiosity stem from a more selfish purpose: i.e. what did he / she do to make his/ her life better and could that be a possible solution for me?
Who goes about looking for inspiration/ heroes/ ideals in fiction anyway? I know I don't.
I was reading that piece and I recalled that Asra had read "Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and liked it. This was before she knew he made up parts of it. I don't know if her opinion has changed drastically after that.
And I remember discussing it with her then and wondering, if all these works of fiction fool us into believing something good is possible, is that really so terrible? I mean, they're all about survival and hope and inspiration, aren't they?
And don't people scan all these so called non-fiction "here's how terrible my life was and look how wonderful it is today" books for examples of how our own miserable (?) lives can be possibly improved. Right? I mean why are other people's lives so interesting otherwise?
Doesn't this curiosity stem from a more selfish purpose: i.e. what did he / she do to make his/ her life better and could that be a possible solution for me?
Who goes about looking for inspiration/ heroes/ ideals in fiction anyway? I know I don't.

3 Comments:
I'm always quite suprised that people get upset when they find out an author made things up. It should actually increase their respect for the author!
If I remember correctly a book in Europe was recently exposed as a 'fraud' where the main character described her life as a Jew, running away from the Nazi authorities during WW2, hiding out with a pack of wolves.
I think you must be really naive to think that this story was actually based on reality to start with.
But it makes the story that much greater! An unlikely story is written like it was real! Applause!
I'm quite sure that half the stuff in an any official autobiography is made up too.
Quite a serious topic Khal. tsk tsk
I'm feeling very serious right now. Harumph.
(pushes glasses up to top of nose)
Wait.
Did you say "Pack of wolves"?????
Who the eff is this? Mowgli??
Post a Comment
<< Home