And then there's this little problem
I spent a little while today trying to figure out some practical details for daily communication in a Trans-atlantic setting (i.e. plan A).
1. Lets assume a six hour time difference. Which means when its 6 p.m. and you're getting off work, I'm ready to go to bed. We can't do the 10 p.m. thing anymore, because I'd be asleep. Because apparently I'm going to be very organized and not do the whole 2 a.m. thing anymore, because I'll be serious and all. When do I actually talk to you?
2. That leaves mornings, you're going to need to wake up at 6 a.m. so I can talk to you during lunch. Yep thats it. No wait. You're not a very social morning person and I can't talk with my mouth full.
3. Or else you call me during lunch, and I'll be ready to go home around that time. 6 p.m. -ish. Or you could start doing lunch at 2.
You know, this is not going to be easy. What about weekends?
Maybe London is not such a good option after all. Well, there's still plan B.
1. Lets assume a six hour time difference. Which means when its 6 p.m. and you're getting off work, I'm ready to go to bed. We can't do the 10 p.m. thing anymore, because I'd be asleep. Because apparently I'm going to be very organized and not do the whole 2 a.m. thing anymore, because I'll be serious and all. When do I actually talk to you?
2. That leaves mornings, you're going to need to wake up at 6 a.m. so I can talk to you during lunch. Yep thats it. No wait. You're not a very social morning person and I can't talk with my mouth full.
3. Or else you call me during lunch, and I'll be ready to go home around that time. 6 p.m. -ish. Or you could start doing lunch at 2.
You know, this is not going to be easy. What about weekends?
Maybe London is not such a good option after all. Well, there's still plan B.

7 Comments:
um yeah all the best with that. we want story.
Wow, sounds like someone's having a real R.E.L.A.T.I.O.N.S.H.I.P!
ha ha ..i/you wish. This is me and my boss.
Or any of my friends over here.
I'm going to have to find new friends. Or else you guys will have to move to Europe.
But there's still plan B.
When I went to the USA I mainly based my decision on a phone call not with the groupleader, but with one of the people working for him.
We had a nice call and it seemed we could be friends, which we turned out to be later. Although later she admitted that when we met for real on the first day she thought I was stupid. I just thought she was a nutter.
Needless to say I left the USA again for other reasons, but I still do not live in my home country. Instead I went back to lovely Finland, because my best friend lives there, and there is also some science there.
So basically I am giving you contradictory advice. :(
Or maybe there is another moral to the story. Something uplifting such as "friends can be found anywhere, except in Luxembourg".
Anyhoo, where were you planning to go in Europe? It's a big place and it's all different everywhere.
And not like America at all.
We have an option to move to the UK. But we haven't accepted that offer yet. We also have an option to stay in the US. But we haven't accepted that offer either.
We're undecided. And not sure if we want to start all over again (new laws, rules, driving licence, immigration, supermarket brands, bus and train routes, etc etc etc)
Basically, we're feeling lazy.
Oh and when I say we that's a royal we... We sometimes have the habit of saying we when we mean "I".
We're also wide awake far too early! Its 5.30 a.m.
As I always say; smart people know when to quit science!
And that is why I am a "professional" scientist!
Expand your options! I got my first 'gig' in Finland by sending a groupleader an email. A fair proportion of them have money on their own and can hire people at a whim.
In many other European Nations "things" are more structured. You need to have properly sucked up and networked your way into the hearts and minds of the leading men (and women) of science. That's no good for free entrepreneurs of science such as us (when I say us I mean us and you).
Never mind me. I had a meeting with my boss this morning and for a change she wasn't unreasonable! Ha, we planned stuff that actually is doable.
That left me in a strange emotional state that prevents me from getting any real work done.
Post a Comment
<< Home