Climbing at Island Rock
Indoor rock climbing is not something I thought I'd be doing anytime soon but I just did it today. The last time I did anything remotely close was over a decade ago when I was at that adventure camp thing out in the Sahyadris. But that was too long ago to count.
I didn't take any pictures (its kind of hard to when you have both hands occupied with either climbing or belaying your partner.) We restricted ourselves to the "kiddie" walls (level 5?) but that, in itself, is an achievement for me. IA, LH and XR were there as well. Along with a lot of the local enthusiasts who look like they came out of an Extreme Sports show on ESPN. LH is a really funny girl but I knew this already. I'm going to claim I was too busy cracking up at her comments to climb too many walls. Below is a snapshot of what the place looks like.
Note to Self: Must work out more. Poor upper body strength = hard time climbing. My arms are sore today. Still, that was a lot of fun and we're definitely going back next week sometime.
OK, what's next on the list of things to do? Ah, meet bloated friend in Boston. But thats in April.
Edit: Can't move... Legs......Back.....stiff.


3 Comments:
i hope you still remember how to actually work when you start your new job/quest for the holy grail of science.
Three guys I know here busted their shoulders and wrists and knees (all three organs in all three guys) from rock climbing. They are really athletic people to begin with (one is a firefighter and the other two are gym-holics). I think this is not a healthy game at all.
ha ha.. what a coincidence. I see this comment from May as I am putting in my edit.
There was this 8 year old Asian girl who was like a little monkey climbing up and down quite rapidly.
I think its OK, it was a lot of fun actually. Its just one of those things (fear of heights) that I wanted to get out of the way.
Plus I have a whole bunch of outdoors-y things planned in the future. Hence the endeavor.
Post a Comment
<< Home