Monday, March 10, 2008

Eh.. whatever.

I think Janis Joplin said it and it's true:

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose."

No sense getting worked up about consequences. I really do have nothing to lose.

In the meantime, I have a new distraction. His name is Billy Collins, he's 67 years old and he writes poetry. I found a link to his stuff from a link from Falstaff's blog (I think) and I was immediately captivated. Billy has a very NPR voice (if you know what I mean) and some folks have made little videos to go with his poetry that you can watch on YouTube. I think that's a really cool way of getting people interested in poetry, since we're mostly a generation that has 3 minute attention span and a penchant for animation and graphics. I'm going to put up a video here, just because I liked it a lot. This is a poem called "Forgetfulness"



The other one I liked (but there is no animation yet) is called "Oh My God". Billy writes this, inspired by little teenage girls who're constantly saying "Oh My God" in their daily talk. He also mentions somewhere how they say "I was like, Oh my God" but he keeps his poetry simple.


Oh My God
Billy Collins

Not only in church
And nightly by their bedsides
Do young girls pray these days

Wherever they go
Prayer is woven into their talk
Like a bright thread of awe

Even in the pedestrian mall
Outbursts of praise
Spring unbidden from their glossy lips

I like the fact that he's so refined and calm, but he doesn't shy away from saying "fucking around". I know what I'm buying with my Borders gift card.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home