Uff... so lame she is
I'm in the boss's office having a discussion about a controversial topic and he wants to show me some new data from former desi postdoc, now prestigious faculty member, Dr. SP. (Please note, not included in "awesome lab heads" list in sidebar.)
He opens his mailbox, clicks on one of her mails to show me the results. I glance over his shoulder and see email, which starts...
"Dear Sir,
..........."
And I'm like, uff. Have you no pride woman? Why are you still being so fucking colonial?
Dear Sir is reserved for government employees in India, big people you've never met (and even then I encourage a Dear Mr. ...) , the Royal Knights of the British Empire.
Its a salutation for boyfriends and husbands and fathers that you are estranged from, when you want to address them coldly and formally, so that they know you harbor displeasure.
For members of the UN Security council, for old fogies who live in isolated chalets in the Himalayas. For the Dalai Lama maybe.
But, oh, so not for him. Uff, woman, you are lame. You've worked for this guy for 6 years. You are his colleague. Not his concubine.
Even if he has a concubine, I hope she calls him by other names.
But. "Dear Sir......" ???? (K shakes head with disapproval).
He opens his mailbox, clicks on one of her mails to show me the results. I glance over his shoulder and see email, which starts...
"Dear Sir,
..........."
And I'm like, uff. Have you no pride woman? Why are you still being so fucking colonial?
Dear Sir is reserved for government employees in India, big people you've never met (and even then I encourage a Dear Mr. ...) , the Royal Knights of the British Empire.
Its a salutation for boyfriends and husbands and fathers that you are estranged from, when you want to address them coldly and formally, so that they know you harbor displeasure.
For members of the UN Security council, for old fogies who live in isolated chalets in the Himalayas. For the Dalai Lama maybe.
But, oh, so not for him. Uff, woman, you are lame. You've worked for this guy for 6 years. You are his colleague. Not his concubine.
Even if he has a concubine, I hope she calls him by other names.
But. "Dear Sir......" ???? (K shakes head with disapproval).

2 Comments:
Dear Sir,
I thoroughly enjoyed your post aptly named " Uff... so lame she is". I hope that you will enlighten us with more of these riveting insights in the future.
Yours truly,
Spurious Monkey, PhD,
Minister of Misinformation
East Korea
Dear Sir,
The correct Indian way to end this sort of communication is by saying "Thanking You, Yours sincerely". You will probably notice this when you get a ton of applicants for your own lab in the near future.
Thanking You
Yours sincerely
Casey Dickey, PhD
Post a Comment
<< Home